Eat Pretty: 4 Healthy Meal Delivery Services Available in D.C.
Check out these four meal delivery services available in the DMV that offer plant based and antioxidant rich meals prepared fresh and delivered to your doorstep so you can eat yourself pretty even if you don't have time for grocery shopping and meal prep.
- Story: Founded by two fitness and nutrition buffs who have differing philosophies on eating, one is a vegan and the other is paleo, the Vegetable and Butcher offers "chef-designed, dietician approved" meals to your doorstep. The plan is subscription based so you can select your level of service and meals will be delivered to your doorstep or office with no delivery charge.
What I Love: Sustainable ingredients sourced from local farmers and seasonal menu really make this delivery service stand out. Produce is organic, seafood is wild-caught, and meats are grass fed and pasture raised.
What's on the Menu:
Vanilla and Lavender Millet Bowl (millet, strawberry, rhubarb, vanilla, lavender, honey)
Black Quinoa Mediterranean Salad (Black Quinoa, Persian cucumbers, grape tomato, bell peppers, purple onion, green onion, mint, optional grilled chicken)
Summer Vegetable Bibimbap (brown rice, tofu, mung bean, spinach, squash, zucchini, scallion, Korean chili sauce, optional stir fried beef.)
Price: Meals start at $11 a meal and go up from there. Subscriptions are super flexible, so you can do anything from just ordering lunch during the work week or you can order all your meals for the whole week.
Story: Founded by Nic Bash, a graduate of the San Francisco Cooking School, Honeyflower Foods aims to make it easy to eat sustainable, healthy, and delicious food. The salads are delivered boxed and are tasty for up to 5 days. You can order them for delivery through Grubhub or Ubereats.
What I Love: The salads are super healthy and the Honeyflower Foods teams outlines the superfood benefits of their "super salads" in a way that makes me really excited to chow down and know exactly what benefits I'll be getting from the food.
What's on the Menu: They currently offer three "Super Salads."
The Soba (Savory Sesame Buckwheat/Whole Wheat Soba Noodles, Chickpea Miso Mushroom, Seaweed Broccolette Salad, Dashi Vinaigrette, and Fermented Chili) Soy-free. Vegetarian. Vegan.
The Gobi (Roasted Cauliflower and Potatoes simmered in a Coconut Turmeric Curry, Pickled Onion Salad, Seeded Chip Cracker, and Nettle Hari Chutney) Gluten-free. Soy-free. Vegetarian. Vegan.
- The Imam (Twice Roasted Eggplant in a Rich Spicy Tomato Sauce, Chickpea Lentil Tabouleh, Roasted Beet Salad, Tahini Dipping Sauce, and Preserved Lemon Dressing.) Gluten-free. Soy-free. Vegetarian. Vegan.
Price: $14.50 per meal, includes delivery and tax. Order through Grubhub or Ubereats.
- Story: Galley foods aims to serve you healthy restaurant caliber food that can be easily reheated and plated at your home. Founder Alan Crifford lost 60 pounds by adopting a whole foods lifestyle and founded Galley under the same principle. The Galley culinary team prepares made-from-scratch dishes each day from whole foods ingredients. Dishes range from healthier takes on family favorites to international dishes and cuisine.
What I Love: Presentation matters when eating, and I love how Galley foods gives you the kind of meals you want to put on a real plate and sit down and eat mindfully.
What's on the menu:
- Brazilian Grilled Avocado Salad with Salmon (Seared sustainable salmon, grilled avocado, lentil and quinoa salad) Paleo, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Dairy Free
- Superfood Salad (Kale, Blueberries, Carrots, Sunflower Seeds, Tomatoes & Pomegranate Seeds) Gluten Free, Nut Free, Vegan, Dairy Free
- Black Bean & Kale Enchiladas (Spicy avocado dressing, achiote rice, latin sauteed vegetables) Nut Free, Vegan
Price: Meals range from $8 for an entree salad to $13-17 for a heartier entree like enchiladas or crab cakes.
Story: This is the organic, plant-based, superfood delivery service that model Lily Aldridge swears by. Sakara Life is based out of New York and delivers to select cities, including D.C.
What I Love: Sakara is really into keeping up with the latest trends and research in the wellness world while making their food beautifully Instagram worthy. Their meals are inspired by "everything from the latest microbiome research to Michelin-starred restaurants in NYC, and combine expert nutritional design with sophisticated culinary technique." Their blog is one of my favorites and always keeps me updated on the latest research and trends through interviews with movers and shakers in the fashion and wellness worlds.
What's on the Menu:
Sakara Glow Granola (served with pink silk mylk)
Middle Eastern Bowl (pomegranate seeds, roasted eggplant, hydrating cucumber, preserved lemon hummus)
- Beauty Blend Salad (cacao-crusted avocado, berries, seasonal veggies, superfood green dressing)
Price: 3 days starting at $80 for breakfast delivery and $239 for three meals. 5 days starting at $119 for breakfast delivery and $349 for three meals.